Out of Urgency is part of a 3-year programme (Dance Artists in Barents) set up by Dansinitiativet to support independent dance artists in the Barents regions of Sweden, Norway, Finland and Russia.
The aims of the Dance Artists in Barents programme:
- Develop the cultural infrastructure in the Barents region
- Find new ways to develop more jobs opportunities for artists
- Establish new networks and enable meeting places
- Initiate collaborations between the countries.
Dance Artists in Barents aims to improve production premises for dance artists in Northern countries, which – in the long term – leads to an increase in locally-produced dance art, audience development, organiser development and a richer cultural offering regionally.
The 3-year programme:
Develop opportunities for artistic exchange and collaboration in the Barents region through mapping and seeking additional funding for the coming years.
Bring together dance artists from the four countries to create a series of short performance pieces which will then tour as a digitally-connected performance in each country.
Evaluate the project and research ways to make it sustainable, keeping the momentum and supporting artists in the Barents region in the future.
The creative process begins with collaborative research and workshops organised by partners in each country.
These research events are:
- Sweden: Luleå – 18-21 December 2019
- Finland: Oulu – 23-25 March 2020 (moved online due to Covid-19 restrictions)
- Russia: Nikel – 25 July – 29 July 2020 (cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions)
- Norway: Hammerfest – 30 July – 2 August 2020 (cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions)
The project is using the first half of 2020 to develop a system of connecting studios in the four countries, using digital tools to enable the artists to collaborate without crossing borders.
The artists will then use this system to create an interlocked full-evening show with the support of the project mentors. This will be presented throughout November 2020.
The project is also dedicated to developing a bespoke audience engagement strategy that will aim to connect with different communities around each venue.